Posted by GoatWorld on January 12, 2001 at 15:38:52:
In Reply to: CL contamenated barn! posted by Jessica C. on January 12, 2001 at 15:31:14:
I've heard of a few ways to "possibly" get rid of certain types of contaminants - I'm not sure if CL is one of them but here's a couple of ideas:
I believe that you can treat the ground area with agricultural lime. How much that you are to use, I don't know but it is supposed to eradicate alot of harmful bacteria.
Usually the most effective way to eradicate bacteria is through heat or cold. What I do with alot of our pens is to burn the hay on the ground in these areas. As long as you do not have too much very dry hay or straw to combust rapidly, you might get alot of harmful bacteria burned (on the ground) through the heat. I would also think that if the smoke is acrid enough, it might also help to eliminate alot of bacteria. This beats burning down the barn all together though you do want to be careful burning old hay. It will smoke like the dickens but it does burn hot enough to destroy bacteria. Afterall, almost every article I've read about CL says to dispose of any CL contaminated materials by burning them.
Hope this helps.
Post a Followup