Re: Now a nasal discharge

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ GoatWorld Messages ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Vicki McGaugh on January 30, 2001 at 13:07:17:

In Reply to: Now a nasal discharge posted by Mary on January 30, 2001 at 07:10:35:

Did you tell your vet that they were just bred? This is a very lousy time to be giving systemic antibiotics. But also if this progresses as it likely will into pnemonia or shipping fever, you will then have no choice. What about calling and speaking to the vet himself, relay the whole story of them traveling recently, keep taking their temps every day, really listen good to thier lungs, and using a sulf. If he really pushes either LA200 ask for the Bio-mycin instead, you can also give this to goats subq. You may also ask him instead of the tetracycline which is what LA200 is, and has warning on it for pregnancy, for bone and teeth (which at this point your babies have none) but Naxcel is a great drug of choice. Both because it is for upperrespiratory but also because of the pending attachment of the fetus. And yes if you want to take a wait and see type attitude you could give her mega doses of C, echinecea drops from Wallmart, Zinc. Just keep a real close eye on them, once you hear the noise in the lungs, you are nearly to late to clear them up without damage to their lungs. And yes this is one of the things folks would use the Immuno and ID-1 for! Vicki

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ GoatWorld Messages ] [ FAQ ]