Amber Waves Pygmy Goats

The GoatWorld Database was last updated:



"Feeding Goats for Improved Milk and Meat Production (Part 9)"

ScratchNAll
Support of our advertisers helps support GoatWorld!

TOP FEATURES

Goat 911
GoatChat
Message Forum
Goat Breeds
Medications
Dosages
Poisonous Plants
Antidotes
Terminology

     
Be automatically notified when this page changes!

-In the News-
USDA Rural News and Information Center


Feeding Goats for Improved Milk and Meat Production (Part 9)

By: George F. W. Haenlein
Cooperative Extension Dairy Specialist University of Delaware
Website: http://ag.udel.edu

  • About the Author
  • TABLE 7. Effect of feeding urea-ammonia treated rice straw on weight gain of young Indonesian goats (1)
    Daily weight gain , g
    9 weeks 13 weeks
    Rice straw 75% + cassava leaves 25% 53 45
    Rice straw 50% + cassava leaves 50% 91 92
    Treated rice straw 75% + cassava leaves 25% 93 84
    Treated rice straw 50% + cassava leaves 50% 105 101
    Treated rice straw 100% 11 27

    (1) From Devendra, 1987.


    TABLE 8. Body Condition Scoring of goats
    SCORE 1
    Animal aspect: Emaciated, backbone is highly visible, forming a continuous ridge, flank is hollow, ribs can be seen, pelvic bones are prominent
    Sternum: Sternal fat can easily be grabbed with the fingers, it is flat and slightly hard, moves with the hand, sternal joints and beginning of ribs can be felt with slight touch of fingers
    Lumbar: Lumbar vertebrae can be grabbed with the hand, they are rough and prominent, no muscle or fat thickness is noted between skin and bones, transverse and articular processes are easily felt with the fingers
    SCORE 2
    Animal aspect: Slightly rough boned, backbone still visible with continuous ridge, prominent pelvis
    Sternum: Sternal fat is thicker, still can be grabbed with the fingers, there is a small tissue layer between the skin and the sternal joints

    Lumbar: Vertebrae can be grabbed with the hand still, but tissue mass appears over the transverse processes, outlines of the transverse processes are more difficult to follow with the fingers, spinous processes are less prominent, articular processes can still be felt with the fingers
    SCORE 3
    Animal aspect: Backbone not prominent, pelvis well covered
    Sternum: Sternal fat is thick, not mobile, difficult to grab, surrounded by tissue, palpation is needed to find the sternal joints
    Lumbar: Tissue is covering lumbar vertebrae, but can be grabbed with 3 fingers, gliding with the fingers over the spinous processes a slight hollow is felt, articular and transverse processes are no longer found.


    SCORE 4
    Sternum: Difficult to grab the sternal fat because of its thickness, covering the sternal joints
    Lumbar: Difficult to put fingers under transverse processes, wrapped in thick layer of tissue, spinous processes can no longer be felt, are continuous
    SCORE 5
    Sternum: Sternal fat can not be identified nor grabbed, thick mass covers ribs and sternum
    Lumbar: Thickness of tissues obscures transverse and spinous processes

    Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - Part 5 - Part 6 - Part 7 - Part 8 - Part 9 - Part 10

    NEW ARTICLES
    News Archives
    Goat Gossip 169
    Clostridial Diseases
    Copper's Role
    Goat Gossip 150
    Lentiviruses
    New Scrapie Info
    Egg Counting
    Goat Gossip 144
    A Tough Kidding
    New To Goats? (1)
    New To Goats? (2)
    Scrapie Update
    Rabies
    Kidding Handbook
    Broken Leg
    Enteritis
    Urinary Calculi
    Skin Diseases
    Copper Deficiency
    Cripple Creek
    Medications
    CLA in Goats
    Crops
    Creep Feeder
    Mineral Feeder
    GoatWorld IV
    GoatWorld V
    GoatWorld VI
    Weed Management

    Poisonous Plants

    Agricultural Research Service

    Email: Contact INFO
    Telephone: Contact INFO
    Designed & Hosted by: JOLLY GERMAN
    ©1999-2015 GoatWorld.Com
    All written, audio, video and graphic material contained within this site, except where otherwise noted, is Copyrighted ©1999-2015. Some content may also be the property of contributors to the site, in which case their material is also protected by applicable copyright laws and this copyright policy. No material may be linked directly to or reproduced in any form without written permission. If you would like to reprint something from our site, simply send us an email to request permission to do so. Please refer to our REPRINT criteria.
    ©Gary Pfalzbot, Colorado, USA
    This site is run and operated by a Disabled Veteran

    21-February-2017
    Visitors today: 3259