Red Maple (Acer rubrum)

Twin Star Ranch
Your support of our advertisers helps support GoatWorld!
6cc Syringe
Meet old friends in the GoatWorld Picture Show!

This page contains information regarding a plant "that could possibly be" poisonous to goats as well as other animals. This information was researched from various resources. Please note, that the author is not a botanist or specialist regarding plants. This information is posted for your reference and comparison purposes only.

Red Maple - Click for a full size image Red Maple - Click for a full size image Red Maple - Click for a full size image Red Maple - Click for a full size image

(maple family)

Red maple is a tree of medium size, occurring naturally or planted as an ornamental. Young bark is a smooth gray color, older bark is dark and broken. Leaves are 3 to 5 lobed, with shallow notches between lobes. Underside of leaves are white. Leaves are green during the growing season and turn red in the fall. Buds, twigs, flowers, and petioles are red. The sap is not milky.

Leaves, especially when fallen, damaged, or wilted.

The toxin has not been identified, but is believed to be an oxidant due to its effects on red blood cells. Only horses are known to be affected. The ingestion of wilted or fallen leaves causes massive destruction of red blood cells, and the blood can no longer carry sufficient oxygen. Ingestion of 1.5 pounds of leaves is toxic, and ingestion of 3 pounds is lethal. Wilted or dry leaves remain toxic for about a month. Fresh and undamaged leaves have not been implicated, but ingestion is still not advised. Clinical signs develop within one or two days and can include depression, lethargy, increased rate and depth of breathing, increased heart rate, jaundice, dark brown urine, coma, and death. Approximately 50% to 75% of affected horses die or are euthanized.

In rare cases, the sunburn may spread to the entire body, especially in lightly pigmented areas. Newly shorn sheep may be particularly at risk. Large amounts of alsike must be consumed before serious body-wide sunscald develops.

High, death is common.

Horses only. Where unexplained illnesses or death in goats that have been exposed to or ingested Red Maple, should be scrutinized carefully for the possibility.

Breathing difficulties, jaundice, dark brown urine, death.

The first step is to prevent further consumption by the horse (and any other horses on the same pasture). There is no specific treatment, and contacting a veterinarian is advised. The veterinarian may use methylene blue, but this is not often effective in horses, but can be tried early in the course of the disorder. Treatment is symptomatic and supportive and can include mineral oil and activated charcoal to prevent further absorption in the stomach, oxygen, fluid support, and blood transfusions.

Reports are lacking, but red maple should not be considered safe in hay, especially if it is freshly baled.

Do not allow horses access to red maple. Most poisoning occur in the late summer and fall when leaves fall into pastures, or at any time when fallen limbs are placed in pastures. Apparently the leaves are palatable, thus increasing the risk of toxicosis. Do not incorporate red maple leaves into hay bales.

Natural Goat Care by Pat Coleby now available!

Agricultural Research Service

Email: Contact INFO
Telephone: Contact INFO
Designed & Hosted by: JOLLY GERMAN
©1999-2020 GoatWorld.Com
All written, audio, video and graphic material contained within this site, except where otherwise noted, is Copyrighted ©1999-2020. Some content may also be the property of contributors to the site, in which case their material is also protected by applicable copyright laws and this copyright policy. No material may be linked directly to or reproduced in any form without written permission. If you would like to reprint something from our site, simply send us an email to request permission to do so. Please refer to our REPRINT criteria.
©Gary Pfalzbot, Colorado, USA
This site is run and operated by a Disabled Veteran

Visitors today: 2553